Link to DrupalCon recorded session: https://events.drupal.org/nashville2018/sessions/what-do-you-want-do-when-you-grow
"What do you want to do when you grow up?" is a question we use as an ice breaker for interviews, one-on-ones, and learning / growth plan discussions. It always brings a chuckle and a genuine response from everyone - regardless of age, role, or job position.
But figuring out what you want to do can be hard. Reaching and obtaining your goals can be even harder. Not only for yourself, but for managers and leads, for your team members, too. Turning knowledge into action (the "Knowing-Doing Gap") is also a hurdle in reaching your goals. One may know how they want to grow, but may need some help in how to go about it.
This session will cover methods to create and execute individual improvement plans, hopefully without sounding too menacing.
Seriously - the words "improvement plan" sounds like someone is in trouble! And execute. Dang. This is sounding management-y. In that scary way. That is what many employees feel going into a formal growth plan and review process. "Formal." Another trigger word. Now that person may be scared, unsure, in trouble(?), vulnerable, exposed, overwhelmed. Yikes!
This session will cover how to get past the fears and baggage to create mutual personal and business growth for your team members.
The topics covered:
- Quantify the worth of personal growth to the business
- Align personal growth to the company business goals
- Techniques for team mentorship:
- Coaching and supporting the goal setting process
- Identifying actional, obtainable goals
- Strategic execution plan to achieve goals
- Measuring / tracking progress
- Common challenges with mentorship
- Working through challenges in a positive, supportive method
- Tools / templates used to capture and track goals (although this is not the focus)
Speakers: Aimee Degnan (CEO of Hook 42) and Genevieve Parker (Operations Manager / Head of HR of Hook 42).
Level of knowledge required
Target audiences and their takeaways
- Cool. I can see how to level up and help achieve my personal goals!
- Wow! I now have a way to articulate where am I now and where do I want to go.
- I hope my manager / lead / coach / partner will mentor me in this way.
- Oh, could I apply this to growth within the Drupal community?!
- Employees / Independants :
- Identify if your environment is providing the mentorship you need.
- Use the tools to create some self-planning, should you not have the job support for growth.
- Have terms and concepts to articulate your needs to peers and management.
- Management / owner / boss-peoples types:
- Prerequisites to mentorship relationships.
- Methods to achieve effective results.
- You don't need a lot of overhead to create an effective growth plan.